Go to the site selected
Following the implemented investment projects and organisational solutions, Krajowa Spółka Cukrowa S.A. achieved a significant reduction in water consumption in the technological process at sugar plants. Process water circulation systems are closed circuits, in which amounts of water of up to several thousand cubic meters per hour circulate. Currently, sugar plants draw very small quantities of water from connections for the production process, about 0.02 m3/tonne of sugar beet. Versus 2002, the quantity of the taken water was reduced over 20 times.
Apart from sugar, sugar beet also contains ca. 75% of water which gets into the production circulation system and has to be treated. To improve the quality of water circulating in the systems, and to reduce water consumption, investment and overhaul projects have been conducted in this area for many years.
The sugar production process requires supply of large quantities of heat in form of heating steam, and of electricity. As steam for the production process is generated in coal-fired boilers, the Company undertakes actions to limit quantities of the coal burned. Following implementation of projects in this area, the Company received so-called white certificates (confirmed by audits), awarded by the Energy Regulatory Office. Since 2014 to this date, the number of these certificates has reflected the reduction by 33 tonnes in energy consumption calculated as coal used (reduction in a quantity of coal used by one production plant during one year of operation). This corresponds to a decrease in the annual carbon dioxide emissions by ca. 70 thousand tonnes. This was done by increasing effectiveness of technological processes, including efficiency of boiler rooms at individual sugar plants. In consequence of the above activities, the quantity of the coal used was reduced over two times versus 2002.
Krajowa Spółka Cukrowa S.A. also produces electricity for its own needs, and sells its surpluses (ca. 16 GWh/year) to external customers. At the same time, a decrease in the demand for heat is followed by a reduction in consumption of electricity, which has dropped by ca. a quarter since the Company started its operations. The majority of power is generated in a process of highly efficient cogeneration (combined production of heat and electricity). This is confirmed by “red” and “yellow” certificates granted by the Energy Regulatory Office. In 2014–2018, the total of 578 GWh of such energy was generated.
The developed plan for modernisation of heat and power plants operating at the Company assumes for a continuous improvement of flue gas treatment efficiency by 2025. Systems for desulphurisation of flue gases were constructed at two sugar plants - this was the first step aiming at adapting the existing systems to planned legal requirements for emissions to the air.
In its operations, the Company pays particular attention to maintaining safety and required level of hygiene at work. KSC S.A. met the requirements for Occupational Health and Safety Management according to the standard: PN-N-18001:2004. From 2018, the headquarters and all branches were equipped with defibrillators of new generation, to improve safety of its Employees.
Krajowa Spółka Cukrowa S.A. implemented the following systems:
- The food safety management system for production and sales of white sugar in accordance with ISO 22000:2005 and the quality management system in accordance with ISO 9001:2015, established at the Company with Resolution No. 1186/IV/2006 of Aug 16, 2006;
- The environment management system in accordance with ISO 14001:2004 and the occupational safety and health management system in accordance with PN-N-18001:2004, established at the Company with Resolution No. 2613/V/2011 of Feb 14, 2011;
- BRC – British Retail Consortium – Global Standard Food is a food standard of the British Retail Consortium;
- IFS –- International Food Standard is intended for all food manufacturers, and in particular, manufacturers of own brands, was developed by the German Retail Federation;
- FSSC 22000 – Food Safety System Certification – is an international food safety standard;
- GMP+ Feed Safety Assurance – an international feed safety standard.
During the sugar campaign of 2017/2018, the following audits were conducted at Krajowa Spółka Cukrowa S.A., confirming implementation of quality systems/standards:
- Certification audits for Management Systems for: Quality (ISO 9001:2015) and Food Safety (HACCP) for production and sale of white sugar, conducted by a certification body TÜV Rheinland Polska Sp. z o.o. The audit covered the Company Headquarters and its production branches ("Sugar Plant Dobrzelin”, "Sugar Plant Kluczewo”, "Sugar Plant Krasnystaw”, "Sugar Plant Kruszwica”, "Sugar Plant Malbork”, "Sugar Plant Nakło”, "Sugar Plant Werbkowice”).
- Recertification audits for conformance with standards of retail chains, IFS/BRC, for production of white sugar and its packing into paper and/or polypropylene packaging, and/or into tankers, were conducted by a certification body TÜV Rheinland Polska Sp. z o.o. At Sugar Plants Dobrzelin, Kluczewo and Nakło audits for conformance with the IFS requirements were conducted. Audits conducted at Sugar Plants Krasnystaw, Kruszwica and Werbkowice concerned conformance with the BRC requirements.
- A certification audit for the feed safety system (GMP+FSA) was conducted by the certification body DEKRA Certification Sp. z o.o. The certification covered feed materials – beet pulp and molasses The GMP+B1 “Production, trade and services” audit was conducted at the Company Headquarters and its production branches ("Sugar Plant Dobrzelin”, "Sugar Plant Kluczewo”, "Sugar Plant Krasnystaw”, "Sugar Plant Kruszwica”, "Sugar Plant Malbork”, "Sugar Plant Nakło”, "Sugar Plant Werbkowice”). The GMP+B3 “Trade, purchase, storage and transshipment” and the GMP+B4 “Transport” audits were conducted at the Company Headquarters and the "Sugar Plant Kruszwica”.
All listed audits ended with a positive result and a decision of certification bodies to grant relevant certificates.
In a period of the sugar campaign 2017/2018, KZR INIG and REDcert2 audits were conducted at Krajowa Spółka Cukrowa S.A. (sugar plants and the Company Headquarters).
In May 2018, Krajowa Spółka Cukrowa S.A. received again a certificate of sustainable sugar beet cultivation, REDcert2, confirming that KSC S.A. Farmers met the requirements for sugar beet cultivation in accordance with good agricultural practices. Furthermore, the REDcert2 certificate confirms that recommendations of the SAI Platform were met at the FSA 2.0 “silver” level.
On September 19, 2019, following audits conducted by the certifying body TÜV Rheinland Polska Sp. z o.o., the Company received the KZR INIG certificate, confirming that it met requirements for sustainable development. With this certificate the Company can sell molasses to companies manufacturing ethanol for biofuels.
In April 2018, a certification audit was conducted at the Krajowa Spółka Cukrowa S.A. Branch „Polskie Przetwory” in Włocławek for conformance with the requirements of the FSSC 22000. This audit was conducted by a certifying body, CSQA, which decided to maintain the FSSC 22000 certificate for “Processing and pasteurisation of sauces based on tomatoes, ketchup, pickled vegetables, marmalade, and jams packed in glass jars and plastic containers. Processing and sterilisation of fruit and vegetable purées packed in aseptic bags”, awarded in October 2017.
Link to the certificate collection and integrated management system (documents in Polish and English): https://firma.polski-cukier.pl/13,zintegrowany-system-zarzadzania-certyfikaty